Study how to grow plants organically
- Learn organic farming for crops in vertical farming
- Improve farm sustainability, longevity and reduce your environmental footprint
On successful completion of the course you should be able to do the following:
- Discuss the scope and nature of organic farming in today’s world.
- Select appropriate organic management systems for different organic farms.
- Understand the environmental, economic and political issues concerning organic farming.
- Explain the role of living organisms and decomposing organic matter in creating and maintaining an appropriate soil condition for successful organic farming.
- Contrive and apply appropriate weed management practices for an organic farm.
- Select and apply appropriate pest and disease management practices for both animal and plant production on an organic farm
- Design an appropriate system for organic production of cattle, sheep and pigs.
- Design an appropriate system for organic production of poultry and other miscellaneous animals.
- Design an appropriate system for organic pasture management.
- Explain the broad-acre organic production of a grain or legume crop.
WHAT THE COURSE COVERS
Here are just some of the things you will be doing:
- Investigate Organic industry such as, Certifying Organisations, Producers or organic farming groups in your locality or region
- Determine allowable inputs to an organic farm certifying in your area
- Discuss how an organic farm requires more labour than a conventional farm
- Visit an organic farm, either a real visit or virtual visit if that is not possible
- Prepare a plan for an organic farm.
- Describe the conversion process for one of the organic farms
- Investigate organic market potential
- Determine appropriate weed control within allowable organic farming limits.
- How can the animals above be integrated into a vegetable or fruit production system
- Determine organic solutions to different farming problems
- Investigate different pasture management systems.
Duration: 100 Hours
COURSE STRUCTURE: There are 10 lessons as follows:
- Introduction to Organic Farming –
- types of organic farming
- Integrated Farm Management Systems –
- rotation design
- cash crops
- managing waste
- biodynamics etc
- Organic Management Issues –
- environmental concerns
- Organic Soil Management and Crop Nutrition –
- green manuring
- cover crops
- organic fertilizers
- Weed Management –
- selecting appropriate techniques of control
- weed identification
- Pest and Disease Management-
- Organic Farm regulations-
- Hydroponic Farm regulations
- Organic label requirements
- Crops –
- Plant Fibre
- Hay and Silage
- Mung Beans
- Sesame seed, etc.